I realize that a first look isn’t for everyone. I respect that some couples have dreamt of that traditional “end of the aisle” moment. If that’s how you feel then anything short of that will likely feel like 2nd best. That’s absolutely ok. However, if you’re open to the idea, read my top 5 reasons to do a first look and see what you think. About 50% of my couples go the first look route.
Should we do a first look?
- First of all, a first look is intimate and something you’ll never forget. While it’s true that I’ll there with my camera, I put on a long lens and hang back to keep the moment as private as possible. Typically, I can’t hear the sentiments you whisper to each other. That said, my camera can capture the tears and smiles.
- If you’re nervous about having all of those eyes on you at the wedding ceremony, a first look may be the way to go. I find that grooms especially feel more free to show their emotions when they don’t have an audience. The first look is a great way to settle your nerves and help you relax before the ceremony.
Efficient wedding day timeline
- A first look is a great way to be efficient with your wedding day timeline. Let me tell you what I mean. Often when we start the day with your first look, we move directly into couple portraits afterwards. You can even invite your bridal party to join you before the ceremony for group shots. With those shots complete, the only group photos remaining are family photos which are often done immediately following the ceremony. This means a smooth (and short) transition between the ceremony and cocktail hour/reception. You can spend time celebrating with your guests and they don’t need to find ways to kill time before the evening’s festivities start. Your guests will thank you.
- Along these same lines, the first look can make good use of every photography dollar. If you combine a timeline similar to the one above with one or two photo locations that are close together, I’ll spend more time behind the camera and less time travelling.
- Lastly, the photographs are so special. If you like, that moment can remain private. I’d be happy to set up a private gallery for just the two of you.
Do any of these things resonate with you?
Top 5 reasons to do a first look, images captured by Calgary Wedding Photographer – Tara Whittaker