In today’s post, you’ll find everything you need to know to plan a Venue 308 wedding. A big thank you to Penny and Bretton for sharing all of the details on their beautiful event space.
How Venue 308 came to be
Our desire was to create a venue that would feel like a warm and welcoming mansion. We wanted it to act like a first-class event space and have amenities that could allow vendors and guests to co-exist throughout a day. We also wanted a bespoke place for photographers, video artistry, and collaborators to work in a studio environment. This meant we needed what has now become our tagline: “A Space for Everyone”. Bretton, an event and portrait and photographer and Penny, who was recently retired from a partnership at a financial services company, began the hunt for a unique space. We found the character we were looking for in the 1910 Louise Block. Venue 308 opened its doors in October of 2019. As a family business, we have a blend of creativity, business acumen and operational know-how. The best part is our strong work ethic, love of people and lots of heart to share with our clients.
What makes Venue 308 unique?
- The 110-year-old brick wall that runs down the centre of the 5000 sq ft of space just asked for creativity. With windows and bright light, to the south and east, it made sense to create the “Light Side” event space. Warm wood, old brick is complemented by bright light, white ceilings and sparkling modern elegance. The other side of the brick centre is the “Dark Side” entertainment and dance floor space, highlighted by a 20-foot black bar with neon lighting and wood shelving.
- Our space features two lounges to use as getting ready space, green rooms, dressing rooms or talent space. The Grace Lounge and the Walter Lounge are different, each with an abundance of character.
- We put an emphasis on the details. Think wallpaper galore, a modern fireplace, glamorous furniture, authentic rolling wine barrels and decor to use or rent (right on-site).
Describe your ideal couple
We love couples who appreciate our heart. At Venue 308, we turn no one away but we are solid on our ethics. Those who see that just ‘click’ with us and we would do anything for them. Venue 308 is our business, but we are here to enable that next step in life and share what we have built.
Tell us about catering options
We know what we are good at and what we’re not. Running a food service business is not our forté but collaborating with people is. Also, we know great food when we taste it! Enter an amazing world of catering and the people who run them. We were approached very early by a few caterers who found us either during construction (thank you Peter from Gruman’s) or through the business partnerships we were making. We do have a preferred catering list (those who have heart and who have worked well in our space) but any licensed and insured caterer is welcome in our space at no penalty to our client.
Availability for 2021
Let’s talk about Sundays. Our Fridays and Saturdays throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall are booked solid and our waitlist is growing. Couples looking for a summer wedding can have their choice of 2022 Saturdays or get married on a Sunday in 2021 on a Sunday. We have spoken with many families and everyone is starting to understand that flexibility is going to be needed. On behalf of all of our fellow small businesses out there, we have had a tough 2020 and are willing to make up time in 2021 to ensure you have the wedding of your dreams. There are options but some of those need brainstorming and understanding from family, friends and vendors. You are not alone.
Options in light of COVID-19
As a private space, we have been able to stay open and offer options to couples:
- We offer lovely ways to make social distancing rules less awkward. We space chairs into pre-designed household groupings and leave doors open for easy access without touching. There are hand-washing and hand-sanitizing options throughout the venue. Every hard surface (including chairs) is disinfected before and after each event. It is easier to do this inside than outside and we are ready.
- Venue 308 is a licensed restaurant and AGLC establishment. We are complying with provincial guidelines on food sharing. Talk to us about the latest social distancing food options.
- Have your wedding plans changed? We have partnered with amazing wedding vendors when couples need vendor options.
- Talk to us about options for gatherings of up to 50 individuals. We are equipped to evolve quickly as the Government allows.
- Our belief is that having an intimate wedding need not be “we may as well”. Rather, we believe in making your day one of the best memories of your life.
Venue 308 wedding captured by Calgary Wedding Photographer – Tara Whittaker