Elopement is kind of a buzz word right now, am I right? Maybe it’s what you always wanted? Possibly you find yourself having to pivot and evaluate your priorities. I’m offering a few options for Calgary intimate weddings and elopements.
Should we elope?
Recently I stumbled across an insightful list of reasons to elope. I recognize that eloping is not for everyone but some of these ideas really got me thinking. I’ve borrowed from their list and added a few thoughts of my own.
- Firstly, simple and intimate = ROMANCE! This classic, downtown elopement was the epitome of romance.
- Elopements and intimate weddings don’t necessarily mean sacrificing style or adventure. We’re fortunate to have picturesque mountain locations like Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise right at our doorstep. Here’s a sunrise elopement at Moraine Lake, if you’d like to see.
- Perhaps you’re uncomfortable being the center of attention. The idea of saying “I do” in a secluded locale may sound just about perfect. No nerves, no jitters – just the two of you.
- Maybe you’ve postponed your big celebration until next year due to COVID-19. Would you still like to make it official (and special) this year as originally planned?
- Finally, if you live in the United States, the currency exchange rate is favorable for American couples wanting to elope in the Rocky Mountains. As of 19-May-2020, every US dollar is worth approximately 1.39 Canadian dollars. Consequently, your wedding dollar stretches much further here in Alberta. Refer to a currency conversion site for the most up-to-date information.
Does any of this resonate with you?
Joy Curated Elopements
206 Event Co.
Two hours of logistics work, design consultation and ceremony styling with
206 Event Co.
Sweet Bloom Floral Design
A designer’s choice bouquet & boutonnière using seasonal blossoms from Sweet Bloom.
Tara Whittaker Photography
1.5 hours of contactless wedding coverage with high resolution images.
If your heart is set on a location in the National Parks, check in with our team. We’re up to date on current closures, social distancing requirements and guidelines for group gatherings. Note that travel fees may apply to the Rocky Mountains.
For an option that’s closer to home, allow me suggest one of three private locations that are “uniquely Alberta”. The first one is alongside a tree-lined, lazy river. Another is tucked amongst rolling hills and groves of stately poplars. The third spot offers a taste of the badlands with columns of sandstone. All of these unspoiled locations are within 45 minutes of Calgary, therefore no travel fees are required. The owners have generously given permission to hold intimate ceremonies there.
Joy curated elopements are available on weekdays and select weekend dates. The package can be customized to include floral installations, decor or the services of a local officiant. Contact the studio for pricing and availability.
Ideas for intimate weddings
Finally, if you’re interested in adding more photography time, consider my original elopement package. This has been a popular pick for couples flying in for destination weddings in the Rockies. Now for a limited time, this package includes 4 hours of photography (previously 3 hrs). Even if you’re planning a larger celebration but need to trim your photography budget, 4 hours of coverage could allow me to capture essential moments. With a well-planned timeline, I could photograph your ceremony, family portraits, bridal party and formals. In this post I provide a sample timeline from a recent wedding at Alforno.
Reach out if you have any questions because I’m happy to help.
Images from this post were from a project at Annex Ale Project. Pop back to the blog soon for more on that.
Design & Styling: Evelyn from 206 Event Co.
Floral Design: Sweet Bloom
Bride’s ceremony gown: Lillian Wild from Blush & Raven
Accessories: Apostle Boutique
Bride’s make-up: Karla Korchinspy @makeupbykarla_k
Calgary intimate weddings and elopements captured by Calgary Wedding Photographer – Tara Whittaker